Getting To Know You – Hugo Palmer
Hugo Palmer is one of the top young trainers in the UK. Having taken out his license in 2011, he has had phenomenal success including Classic winners COVERT LOVE and GALILEO GOLD. His 2021 season is off to a great start operating at a 32% strike rate so far this year.
- What is your first racing memory? Point-to-Points in the Scottish Borders where I grew up.
- Favourite track? Newmarket’s Rowley Mile. I love the openness of the straight 10 furlongs, the world’s longest straight and the track has been exceptionally good to me throughout my short career providing me with my first British Group One when Galileo Gold won the 2000 Guineas.
- Favourite horse? Gifted Master – he was a superstar for the stable winning 11 races including the Steward’s Cup off top weight and £760,000 in prize money.
- Race you’d most like to win? The Saudi Cup, although The Derby might be a fractionally more achievable dream.
- Horse you’re most looking forward to seeing run in 2021? We have a handful of three-year-olds who broke their maidens well last year and could be exciting this year. They include Ocean Road, Liberated Lady, Irish Legend, The Rosstafarian, Set Point and Noman but perhaps the horse I’m most looking forward to is still a maiden. She is a well-bred filly called Quenelle D’Or and she was unfortunate not to win being second twice. I’m also really looking forward to seeing Galileo Gold’s first two-year-olds run.
- Favourite holiday destination? Anywhere in The Alps
- Favourite restaurant? Le Cap Horn, Courchevel
- Favourite Album? Any family photograph album – full of memories
- Two books you’d recommend? Men and Horses I Have Known, Brideshead Revisited
- Five dinner party guests? Nicola Sturgeon, Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Piers Morgan and I’d get Mary Ann Cotton to cook (look her up!)
Private purchase Porta Fortuna gains Group 1 breakthrough in Cheveley Park Stakes
Porta Fortuna, a private purchase by Avenue Bloodstock in conjunction with Philip Shelton of Medallion Racing back in the spring, broke through at Group 1 level with an authoritative display to win the Group 1 Juddmonte Cheveley Park Stakes at Newmarket on Saturday. Carrying the colours of owners Barry Fowler/Medallion Racing/Steve Weston/Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, Porta […]
Breeze-up purchase Letsbefrankaboutit lands G3 Round Tower
Breeze-up purchase Letsbefrankaboutit took the jump into Group company in his stride at the Curragh on Saturday to land the G3 The Heider Family Stables Round Tower Stakes on only his second start. Owned by Eamon Water’s Alymer Stud, the Sioux Nation colt made a bright start to his career for Paddy Twomey two weeks […]
Yearling purchase Sea Theme wins Galtres Stakes
Sheikh Juma al Maktoum’s Sea Theme, a yearling purchase by Avenue Bloodstock, continued her upward curve in fine style on Thursday when successful in the Listed Galtres Stakes at York. Making only her third start for William Haggas following a wide-margin novice win at Doncaster last time out, the daughter of Sea The Stars was […]