Getting To Know You – Hugo Palmer
Hugo Palmer is one of the top young trainers in the UK. Having taken out his license in 2011, he has had phenomenal success including Classic winners COVERT LOVE and GALILEO GOLD. His 2021 season is off to a great start operating at a 32% strike rate so far this year.
- What is your first racing memory? Point-to-Points in the Scottish Borders where I grew up.
- Favourite track? Newmarket’s Rowley Mile. I love the openness of the straight 10 furlongs, the world’s longest straight and the track has been exceptionally good to me throughout my short career providing me with my first British Group One when Galileo Gold won the 2000 Guineas.
- Favourite horse? Gifted Master – he was a superstar for the stable winning 11 races including the Steward’s Cup off top weight and £760,000 in prize money.
- Race you’d most like to win? The Saudi Cup, although The Derby might be a fractionally more achievable dream.
- Horse you’re most looking forward to seeing run in 2021? We have a handful of three-year-olds who broke their maidens well last year and could be exciting this year. They include Ocean Road, Liberated Lady, Irish Legend, The Rosstafarian, Set Point and Noman but perhaps the horse I’m most looking forward to is still a maiden. She is a well-bred filly called Quenelle D’Or and she was unfortunate not to win being second twice. I’m also really looking forward to seeing Galileo Gold’s first two-year-olds run.
- Favourite holiday destination? Anywhere in The Alps
- Favourite restaurant? Le Cap Horn, Courchevel
- Favourite Album? Any family photograph album – full of memories
- Two books you’d recommend? Men and Horses I Have Known, Brideshead Revisited
- Five dinner party guests? Nicola Sturgeon, Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Piers Morgan and I’d get Mary Ann Cotton to cook (look her up!)
Celestial Legend impressive in Group 2 win for Legend Racing
Legend Racing’s Celestial Legend served notice that he is ready for a step up to Group 1 company on Saturday with an impressive win in the Group 2 Hobartville Stakes at Rosehill Gardens. The son of Dundeel, who was a yearling purchase with owner Bon Ho, took up a midfield position under jockey Kerrin McEvoy […]
Private purchase Anisette dominates G1 American Oaks
Private purchase Anisette turned in another performance out of the top drawer on Tuesday for owner Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners when easily accounting for her rivals in the Grade 1 American Oaks at Santa Anita. It was the second Grade 1 success for Anisette following her spectacular display in the Grade 1 Del Mar Oaks in […]
G1 successes headline memorable 2023
The win of Porta Fortuna in the G1 Juddmonte Cheveley Park Stakes at Newmarket in September provided a real exclamation point on a memorable year for Avenue Bloodstock. The Caravaggio filly was a private purchase on behalf of a partnership comprising Barry Fowler, Medallion Racing, Steve Weston and Reeves Thoroughbred Racing following her debut victory […]