Getting To Know You – Joseph Parr
Joseph Parr took out his training license in 2020 and is based at Franklin Lodge Stables in Newmarket. Gaining valuable experience working for both his grandfather, Alan Bailey, and Classic-winning trainer Ed Dunlop, he had a great grounding for his career. Last year Joe had a 19% strike rate and is looking forward to growing his operation both in numbers and quality for the 2021 season.
- What is your first racing memory? My Grandad training a winner at Chester. Everybody was rather drunk, they had obviously backed it!
- Favourite track? Chester is a beautiful track, would love a winner there! They look after the owners and trainers very well.
- Favourite horse? Barbican, he took me to Dubai World Cup night, or possibly Esspeegee who won six in seven and ran off with me every day!
- Race you’d most like to win? Stakes Race – The Arc de Triomphe. Handicap Race – Chester Cup.
- Horse you’re most looking forward to seeing run in 2021? Hello Me
- Favourite holiday destination? Ibiza (the quiet part!)
- Favourite restaurant? Amante Ibiza
- Favourite Album? Discovery Daft Punk
- Two books you’d recommend? This Is Going To Hurt (Adam Kay) & The Chimp Paradox
- Five dinner party guests? Ricky Gervais, David Mitchell, Robert Webb, Steve Coogan and Noel Fielding (purely for a laugh).
Private purchase Porta Fortuna gains Group 1 breakthrough in Cheveley Park Stakes
Porta Fortuna, a private purchase by Avenue Bloodstock in conjunction with Philip Shelton of Medallion Racing back in the spring, broke through at Group 1 level with an authoritative display to win the Group 1 Juddmonte Cheveley Park Stakes at Newmarket on Saturday. Carrying the colours of owners Barry Fowler/Medallion Racing/Steve Weston/Reeves Thoroughbred Racing, Porta […]
Breeze-up purchase Letsbefrankaboutit lands G3 Round Tower
Breeze-up purchase Letsbefrankaboutit took the jump into Group company in his stride at the Curragh on Saturday to land the G3 The Heider Family Stables Round Tower Stakes on only his second start. Owned by Eamon Water’s Alymer Stud, the Sioux Nation colt made a bright start to his career for Paddy Twomey two weeks […]
Yearling purchase Sea Theme wins Galtres Stakes
Sheikh Juma al Maktoum’s Sea Theme, a yearling purchase by Avenue Bloodstock, continued her upward curve in fine style on Thursday when successful in the Listed Galtres Stakes at York. Making only her third start for William Haggas following a wide-margin novice win at Doncaster last time out, the daughter of Sea The Stars was […]